Wednesday 25 March 2015

Review ~ That Girl (That Girl #1) by H.J. Bellus

That Girl (That Girl, #1)ebook borrowed via Kindle Unlimited.

Release Date: August 11th 2014

Publisher: Limitless Publishing LLC

Description:
This book is about That Girl...

The girl who leaves behind her past, including her name; runs away from home and vows to never let another identity claim her again. Broken dreams, an abusive step-dad and ugly memories from her childhood are the only shattered remnants that have the ability to haunt her. 

With no money, an endless blank slate laying ahead of her and no hopes for the future, she sets out to survive at minimum wage jobs, moving from town to town, changing her name with each move, and never allowing glimpses of her past to threaten her empty future. 

Average in every way, from her looks to her personality and even her style, there is not much to remember about her. When she abandons one town for another, she leaves behind her fake identity in the search of the next one, while leaving people asking themselves, “I wonder what ever became of that girl.”

This was her reality until Lincoln Wilks.

The number one defensive football player in Fort Collins who finally names That Girl.

My Opinion

Seriously? What is with all of the books I'm reading at the moment. The last few books have left me irritated and screaming in frustration and this was no exception.

That Girl was a weird read for me. It started off slow and hard to get into. Then it picked up and I fell in love with the characters. And then I got to the end and I was left with a wtf feeling.

To begin with I wasn't sure I'd finish this book. The start seemed to be all over the place and hard to follow. Because Oakely is constantly running it creates a jumpy story line. However, I stuck with it and as soon as Lincoln was I introduced things started to pick up. I enjoyed reading about their romance and how Lincoln won her over. Their relationship was sweet and the fact they stuck at Oakley pace have me respect for Lincoln. Some of their cute banter had me smiling and it was combined with the darker aspects of this book well to give a balance of emotions.

However, just as things were starting to get good, the end started to come closer. I couldn't see how the author was going to tie everything up and the fact is she doesn't. For me the ending was incredibly rushed and brushed over a lot of key emotions and feelings that I needed resolved. And the final chapter? I think I understood it, but it wasn't satisfying.

It's a shame really because like the other books I've read recently, they're all great until the end. I don't know if I'm just on a bad streak or something but I hope it ends soon. For me this wasn't the HEA I was wishing for.


Overall, this book may be worth checking out and I may read other books by this author, but I have read better novels dealing with this subject matter.

3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...