Monday 9 March 2015

Review ~ Letters Home (Letters Home, #1) by Rebecca Brooke

Letters Home (Letters Home, #1)ebook downloaded via Kindle Unlimited.

Release Date: June 8th 2014

Description:
Life is all about the jigsaw, right? Finding the different puzzle pieces to complete your very own picture. A career you love, a house to make a home, a lover to complete you, and keep you warm at night. 

Danielle Renton has a life, and she loves it. A recent law school graduate, she’d been floored when her boyfriend, Nate Lewis, enlisted during their sophomore year of college. At the time, she’d been concerned with what that meant for them as a couple, but in the years that followed, they’d learned to adapt to the logistics of an army relationship.

But when life throws her a curve ball, how will she cope? Can she pick up the pieces and make her picture beautiful again? Or does she realize that, sometimes, the pieces can be too broken to fit back together…


NOTE: Letters Home can be read as a standalone, but has a follow-up

My Opinion

I saw this book up on NetGalley and whilst it sounded interesting the spoilers I'd seen in reviews put me off requesting it. However, throughout the day I couldn't stop thinking about it and ended up borrowing Letters Home on Kindle Unlimited so I didn't have to wait to be approved.

I knew this would be an emotional read, and it knew I'd hate the parts that would break my heart. I spent most of the book waiting for Danielle's life to be flipped upside down and then having to recover with her. I will admit that I'm not usually one to read books where the happiness is bitter-sweet. I'm a hopeless romantic and I want a fully happy ending. Whilst this book does get a HEA, I can't help but miss Nate and hate what happened to him.

Overall I thought the characters were well crafted and believable. The situations they were thrown into were realistic and moving. Letter Home was a touching book having known someone who has recently gone through similar circumstances, and I thought the author dealt with it well. I felt the progression of emotions was realistic and you could travel the journey with Danielle as she pieced herself back together. As well as this I did like Tanner. This was the part that had me hesitant to request the book as I wasn't sure I'd like the change in guys. Tanner was adorable and a great person for Danielle. I just couldn't fall in love with him the way I wanted because of Nate.

The only criticisms I have for this book is that first the plot was predictable. Second I wasn't all that keen on the writing style. Sometimes it felt too dragged out and others too quick. The ending was especially quick and I wanted a bit more certainty and closure than it gave.


Anyway, overall Letters Home was a touching read. I'm still torn on how I feel about it because of the Nate issue (which will make more sense if you read it), but it was a good book.

4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...