Saturday 14 March 2015

Review ~ Forgive Us Our Trespasses (Redemption #1) by M.L. Steinbrunn

Forgive Us Our Trespasses (Redemption, #1)
ebook borrowed via Kindle Unlimited

Release Date: March 3rd 2014

Description:
How long would you wait to be with the one that you love? How much of yourself would you hide in order to keep them? 

Brooks knows the moment he meets Vivian that he will do whatever it takes to protect her, even if it means leaving her. Running from his past, he spends the next decade trying to forget the shattered heart that he left behind. 

Is there any betrayal worth the cost? Are there some sins that cannot be forgiven?

After a lifetime of rebuilding the walls guarding her heart, Vivian confronts the harsh reality that some fortresses are not meant to stand. Winding through a gray fog of disappointment and deceit, she must conquer her deepest fears to accept the love she believes she is too unworthy to have. 

As the paths of these two battered hearts cross once more, together they seek redemption for their sins. However, when the secrets of their pasts come knocking on their door, forgiveness and love will be tested, and they will be forced to answer the question: “When the lies run out, will the truth finally set you free?”

Forgive Us Our Trespasses is an adult contemporary novel and is not intended for younger readers due to mature content.

My Opinion

I first saw this book up on NetGalley however I ended up borrowing it from Kindle Unlimited instead. I wasn't sure enough about it to request it for review as I didn't want to feel obligated to review it. Regardless, when I saw I could borrow it it seemed like the perfect solution.

In general this was an okay read. I liked the concept and bigger picture in the book but it wasn't without its fault.

Firstly, the start intrigued me. The prologue was great and had me hooked instantly. I felt for the kids and I was curious to see where the author took their story. Needless to say that after this the first few chapters were a bit slow. It wasn't until Brooks chapter that things started to pick up for me and I could engage with it once again.

I enjoyed the college section of this book. I liked the relationship between the girls. It was solid and believable; they clearly had each others' backs and I liked that about them. They also all had a unique personality that made them different from each other.

However, I'm not sure I can say the same about the guys. I never really connected with Brooks or felt anything but indifference towards him. I also think I could have liked Will but he wasn't around long enough to find out, which I hated. I just felt they were a little bland compared to the girls.

Similarly, Brooks didn't come off as that smart. He made dumb decisions and constantly messed up. This is what leads me to my biggest issue with this book: it was so predictable. Brooks secrets was so obvious and the reveal came so late that I did find myself skimming and my attention drifting. The pacing in this book varied from good to poor whereby by the end I was really losing interest. For me the reveal should have come a lot sooner so the ending wasn't as rushed--it seriously needed an epilogue at the least.


Anyway, overall, despite its faults this was an easy book to read. I think it has potential but needs a little more work so I'm glad I was able to borrow it rather than buy.

3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...