Friday 22 May 2015

Review ~ Give Me Love (Give Me, #1) by Kate McCarthy

Give Me Love (Give Me, #1)ebook downloaded for free via Amazon

Release Date: March 15th 2013

Publisher: Self-published

Description:
Evie Jamieson, a former wild child, is not only a headstrong, smart-mouthed trouble magnet, she is also a lead singer with a plan. That plan involves relocating her band, including her two best friends guitarist Henry and band manager Mac, to Sydney to kick off their dreams of hitting the big time. 

Jared Valentine is the older brother of Evie's best friend Mac and also the man determined to make Evie his. They strike up a long distance friendship which suits Evie because she's determined to avoid the distraction of love, not only because it doesn't fit in with her plan but because twice in the past it has left her for dead. Moving to Sydney however, has put her directly in Jared's path and he has decided it's the perfect opportunity to make his play.

Unfortunately Jared, co-owner in a business that 'consults' in dangerous hostage and kidnapping situations, makes an enemy who's determined to enact revenge. When this enemy puts Evie in his sights, Jared not only has a fight on his hands to make her his own, but also to keep her alive.

Is accepting the love he's so desperate to give worth the risk to both her heart...and her life?

My Opinion

This is a freebie I'm glad I stuck with. After a rocky and choppy start I wasn't sure I was going to make it to the end of this book, but I gave it a chance and it won me over.

The thing about the start was everything happened so quickly. The book jumped weeks and months over only a few pages almost giving me whiplash. It was hard to keep up with everything and it led to very little emotional connection with the bonds beginning to form between characters. If I'm brutally honest, it was one of the worst starts I've read in a while. However, for once I feel okay saying that because I enjoyed it in the end.

Once Jimmy gets involved (you'll have to read it to find out who he is) things slow down and the pace becomes better. I will admit that the writing was still a little choppy at times and the sequence of events could have been planned better so there weren't so many flashbacks or jumps in time, but the plot kept me intrigued. I liked the elements of danger and the relationships between everyone.

The characters won me over too. At the beginning I thought they were slightly childish. Whilst I still think Mac could age slightly more, I did find myself growing to like them. I liked Cody and the bond with Evie was clear. I also liked Jared--even if some of his decisions were stupid.

I'm not sure what I feel about Jared and Evie. Sometimes things felt rushed and at other times their decisions seemed rash and incomprehensible. Things did drag slightly but they were cute when they were together. It's not a relationship I disliked, but it didn't draw massive emotions from me either. It was enough to keep me reading when combine with the danger.


Overall I'd say this is a book you've got to stick with. It grows on you slowly and the writing does get better as it goes on. A lot happens in it and although sometimes it might seem a little jumbled I still found it an enjoyable read in the end. For a freebie it's worth the shot as you can really go wrong and I will more than likely purchase the next 2.

3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...