Tuesday 9 December 2014

Review ~ Dominic (Slater Brothers #1) by L.A. Casey

Dominic (Slater Brothers, #1)Paperback purchased by myself

Release Date: March 17th 2014

Description:

**************************************
WARNING: If you don't like a leading male that is a possessive pr**k, Dominic is NOT for you. If you don't like a leading female that is a stubborn bi**h, Dominic is NOT for you. If you don't like over the top drama and characters who have bad tempers, Dominic is NOT for you. Most of all, if you don't like characters who CURSE A LOT and say EXACTLYwhat they feel and are thinking without sugar coating it then Dominic is REALLY NOT for you.
**************************************

After a car accident killed her parents when she was a child, Bronagh Murphy chose to box herself off from people in an effort to keep herself from future hurt. If she doesn't befriend people, talk to them or acknowledge them in any way they leave her alone just like she wants. 

When Dominic Slater enters her life, ignoring him is all she has to do to get his attention. Dominic is used to attention, and when he and his brothers move to Dublin, Ireland for family business, he gets nothing but attention. Attention from everyone except the beautiful brunette with a sharp tongue. 

Dominic wants Bronagh and the only way he can get to her, is by dragging her from the boxed off corner she has herself trapped in the only way he knows how...by force. 

Dominic wants her, and what Dominic wants, Dominic gets.

My Opinion

I've been really looking forward to this book. In fact out of all of the MMA books I've bought recently, I left this one until last because it was the one I had the biggest expectations for. However, the only phrase that comes to my mind is "what the hell have I just read?!"

Things started off badly when I saw the author's note saying she's deliberately written how Irish people supposedly speak e.g using me for my. I know this is a common thing in certain areas in the UK (I do it occasionally in speech), but in a book it grate on me. I hate reading books that try to write an accent, it's irritating and unnecessary. Tell me the characters are Irish and let my imagination take it from there. Similarly, even though I have no problem with cursing, the characters probably swore more than they talked sense. I'm sorry, but you can get away with it when used sparingly for effect, but that effect becomes lost when it's every line. I don't know anyone who actually talks like these characters.

Moreover, this relationship--can I call it that?--was just f***d up. And you can see how annoyed I was by it as I never want to swear in reviews, but there just isn't any other way to describe it. The blurb said cocky and possessive and I don't mind the alpha thing. However, Dominic took things to extremes and it just seemed like abuse. I don't know why Bronagh even fell for him in the first place. He was very rarely sweet, always angry, and the two had destructive personalities that meant they were constantly shouting at each other. Seriously, it felt like the whole book was one big shouting match way way too many exclamation marks. I'm sorry but I just don't buy it. There wasn't enough growth in either character to make me like or believe in their relationship. It all seemed wrong.

Saying that though, there was something weird about this book that kept me reading. I think it's like a seeing car crash. You know you shouldn't look and should stop staring, but you can't. I'm not sure I would recommend it, and I'm still confused by what I've read, but something drew me in despite all of the unnecessary stuff mentioned above.


1.5/2

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...