Thursday 11 September 2014

Review ~ The Dying of the Light (Skulduggery Pleasant #9) by Derek Landy

The Dying of the Light (Skulduggery Pleasant, #9)Hardback purchased by myself

Release Date: August 28th 2014

Publisher: Harper Collins

Description:
The War of the Sanctuaries has been won, but it was not without its casualties. Following the loss of Valkyrie Cain, Skulduggery Pleasant must use any and all means to track down and stop Darquesse before she turns the world into a charred, lifeless cinder.

And so he draws together a team of soldiers, monster hunters, killers, criminals… and Valkyrie’s own murderous reflection.

The war may be over, but the final battle is about to begin. And not everyone gets out of here alive…

My Opinion

I finished this book on the 29th but have been deliberating until now on what to say about it. I read the book in a day, which meant I didn't absolutely nothing else, but it was all for a good cause. I have been following this series since it was first published and it quickly became one of my favourites. Every year Derek Landy's book was top of my wishlist, so it's taken a while for me to process that there will be no more Skulduggery.

Having said that, it now pains me not to be able to give this book 5 stars. I wanted to, I really did but I just can't bring myself to rate it that as it has caused me so much deliberation over whether I was truly satisfied with the end. For me, although the whole book was great and had everything I had come to expect from Derek Landy, there was so much more riding on The Dying of the Light because it was the 9th, and final, book in the series. It had to sum up everything, give an amazing conclusion and send the characters off in a heroic, action-packed way for me to really feel satisfied and although parts were there (the action/heroics), when I got to the final two chapters, I kind of thought "was that it?" and "What just happened?" And believe me I really hate to write that. 

I'm not going to write anything about the story as I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but I really wanted Skulduggery to have the last line and the fact he doesn't disappointed me considering he is the main character. However, besides that, the rest of the book was great and I did enjoy it overall. I might have to read it again to fully understand everything but Skulduggery is still one of my favourite series and I can't wait to see what Derek Landy brings out net year!

4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...