Sunday 19 April 2015

Review ~ Ember (Eagle Elite #5) by Rachel Van Dyken

Ember (Eagle Elite, #5)ebook purchased by myself.

Release Date: February 19th 2015

Description:
I am a Killer. A Rapist. A Monster.
I know only pain and survival. 
That is until the Cappo's sister walked into my life. 
And changed everything.

She's a light who makes my darkness darker, her smile makes my heart turn to ice, and I can't escape the fear her seductive looks instill--knowing it's only a matter of time before I fail--again, and take her for myself.
This is the story of my redemption. 
But it's not pretty...I died, and now I'm alive, but not living, breathing but not surviving. I am Phoenix De Lange, son to a murdered mob boss, estranged brother, horrible friend, monster in the making, newest leader to one of the most powerful families in the Cosa Nostra.
And I will have my vengeance.
Or die trying.
I am Phoenix De Lange. 
Death is all I know. 
Until she offers me a piece of life--I can't resist taking.

My Opinion

I love this series. When I started it I was able to read the first four books straight after one another. However, I have been waiting for months to get my hands on Ember and it's been killing me. It also meant I had to do some catching up to refresh my memory of what had happened.

Just like with all of the other books in the series though, Ember had a great plot. There were a few twists--some I didn't see coming, some I did--and the story was well paced to keep me hooked. Once again the author creates a dark, gritty novel that doesn't shy away from the cruelty that comes with the mafia. I will admit that the school side of things to me is a bit far-fetched, but I really don't care. It works in a weird way and the characters grow as they leave.

Surprisingly, in Ember you do feel for Phoenix. The author did a good job with his redemption and how his romance developed. I felt his pain and I thought the balance between his guilt and desire for Bee was struck well. I also liked the way Bee pushed his buttons. She got under his skin and her witty comments made me smile.


Overall I can't wait for the next book in this series. I wouldn't say this series is for the easily offended or scared, but it's a good one. I have also learnt my lesson and stopped reading the sample of the next book at the end. No way am I getting hooked and then left not being able to read it for ages!

5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...