Friday 28 June 2013

Review ~ Oath Bound (Unbound #3) - Rachel Vincent

Oath Bound (Unbound, #3)Paperback purchased by myself

Release Date: 30th April 2013

Publisher: Harlequin MIRA

Description:
The Tower Syndicate will fall... 

The secret daughter of the head of an infamous Skilled crime family, Sera Brandt has hidden her past, her potential and especially her powers. But when a tragedy strikes her other family, Sera needs justice. And the only way to get it is to reveal her heritage–including a rare Skill–and take the reins of the Tower Syndicate from her cunning and malicious aunt.

If he can figure out how... 


Kristopher Daniels might have the answer. He's fought the syndicate to protect his sisters, but he'd never realized just how close to the new heir he needed to get....

And if they can survive 


Neither is used to trusting. But there's something between them that can't be ignored. And so Sera is on the run with a man she can't figure out, a target on her back and the new knowledge of just how powerful she really is....

My Opinion

I had this book on pre-order and I was so excited when it arrived - I was literally jumping around the room. However because of exams season as much I was dying to read it I had to put it on my pile and wait as I wanted to spend a whole day getting lost in Rachel's world rather than stop and start reading it in between the millions of other things that had to be done. Anyway I have finally made time to read this book, thanks to a beautiful sunny day and it was definitely worth waiting for!

I love this series as it is so much darker than Vincent's other work. There is loads of action and the setting is original, brilliant and really intriguing. I loved Sera's witty and take-no-nonsense attitude that was established right from the beginning and it developed well throughout the entire book. She also had a vulnerable side that appears at times which was a nice change as you could really feel for her loss. Other times though there were moments when I was laughing out loud to myself with some of the comments made which was a nice change from the darker undertone. Gran was definitely a nice addition too and her comments like "I like her" when choosing Sera over Kris really put a smile to my face. I could relate and picture it easily.

This book engaged me and kept me hooked right from page one. The storyline is unpredictable and well structured so that you find things out at the right time and aren't left with any questions. I especially like how the author has used different characters for each installment in the series. Although Liv (from book one) is still my favourite - and thankfully still in the others slightly - I also like the other characters as they bring a fresh set of personalities, history and stories to the series which I enjoy discovering around the action.

This book was fast-paced and I really hope for another book in the series. I'm slightly annoyed the publisher has changed the size of the book because now they don't fit right on my shelf but that's a moot point when the book is this good. As well as this I really enjoyed the conflict in Kris and Sera's relationship. They were both stubborn, strong and determined to be right and what starts as a serious point of kidnapping turns into a funny ritual when questioned about it.

The only thing I wanted more of was the action at the end to big bigger and longer. Personally it felt a bit abrupt and too little people but that is my only complaint and it didn't stop me enjoying the book in the slightest - I think it's more a case of me wanting it to last longer.

Overall Rachel Vincent is one of my favourite authors and this series is definitely my favourite out of all her work (I've read it all)! Her writing style is brilliant and she crafts imaginative, believable and original worlds that keep you hooked and sat on the edge of your seat as you turn the pages to find out what happens next. I would highly recommend not only this book but every book by this author! If you haven't read anything by her you are seriously missing out. Go buy it!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...