Thursday 30 June 2016

Review ~ The Year We Fell Down (The Ivy Years, #1) by Sarina Bowen

The Year We Fell Down (The Ivy Years, #1)
ebook downloaded for free on Amazon

Release Date: March 20th 2014

Publisher: Self-published

Description:
The sport she loves is out of reach. The boy she loves has someone else.
What now?

She expected to start Harkness College as a varsity ice hockey player. But a serious accident means that Corey Callahan will start school in a wheelchair instead.

Across the hall, in the other handicapped-accessible dorm room, lives the too-delicious-to-be real Adam Hartley, another would-be hockey star with his leg broken in two places. He’s way out of Corey’s league.

Also, he’s taken.

Nevertheless, an unlikely alliance blooms between Corey and Hartley in the “gimp ghetto” of McHerrin Hall. Over tequila, perilously balanced dining hall trays, and video games, the two cope with disappointments that nobody else understands.

They’re just friends, of course, until one night when things fall apart. Or fall together. All Corey knows is that she’s falling. Hard.

But will Hartley set aside his trophy girl to love someone as broken as Corey? If he won’t, she will need to find the courage to make a life for herself at Harkness — one which does not revolve around the sport she can no longer play, or the brown-eyed boy who’s afraid to love her back.

My Opinion

This is a first time read for me by this author, but I can guarantee it won't be the last, especially in this series. I'm so glad I caught this book when it was free on Amazon and finally made time to read it unlike so many other freebies that remain unread on my Kindle.

The Year We Fell Down was a touching and humbling read. It's not every day I read a book where the characters are disabled, and it was refreshing to read about. I also thought the author did it in a great way by making Corey a strong female who was a fighter. She didn't let her accident get the better of her when she could have easily given up. Right from the start she was fighting to get to university and her independence even though she's wheelchair bound. I felt for her, yet I never felt sorry for her. She was a likeable character you wanted to the best for.

As for the romance, I thought the build and progression was good. It had a steady friendship to more feel and I thought the characterisations were great. Hartley and Corey worked together. There was a click that just made their conversations flow, and it was easy to see he cared, but also got her. It was a sweet romance.


Overall, I was definitely surprised by this book. It was a great read that leaves you feeling humbled and grateful for what you most probably take for granted.

5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...