Tuesday 28 November 2017

Review ~ Fame And Obsession by Cora Kenborn

Fame And Obsession (Lords of Lyre, book 1)Fame And Obsession by Cora Kenborn
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Actual rating 3.5

This is another new author to me. I've had Fame & Obsession on my kindle a while, since I downloaded it when it was free on Amazon, but never had a chance to read it even though it's a book I've wanted for a few months.

Now I've read it I'm torn. In general, my feelings can be summed up with: liked the plot but it could have been executed better.

I'll start with the story. I enjoyed the plot and the idea behind this book. I also enjoyed the romance. I connected with Julian and Phoebe, and I wanted them to work things out. I also thought the suspense element was well developed--even though I knew who was behind everything. It kept me engaged and was interesting.

However, where I felt this book was let down is in the length. It took too long for things to get started, and personally, there were sections that dragged. I think it could have been paced better and another content edit would weed out the slower, unnecessary sections that stalled the events. I also think this would have allowed for less of a cliff hanger ending. I assumed this was a standalone and one plot thread wasn't going to be tied up, but it turns out that plot thread will be the basis for book 2. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, I'm not sure a second book would have been needed with better editing. I'm not sure I want to start the drama all over again once the characters reach a happy place.

Overall, I enjoyed the plot but think it could have been cut down to improve the pacing. The characters were well-rounded and I enjoyed the romance. I might read book 2, but I'm not quite sure yet.

*Ebook downloaded for free via Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...