Saturday 10 January 2015

Review ~ The Edge of Darkness (Darkness Duet #1) by Melissa Andrea

The Edge of Darkness (Darkness Duet, #1)Paperback purchased by myself

Release Date: January 20th 2014

Description:
I loved to dance, but I don’t anymore. 
I was in an accident I don’t remember… or maybe I don’t want to remember. 
Either way, every day since, has been… an adjustment and I’m left with a constant reminder that nothing is forever. 

Now, my life is a tangled web of darkness filled with deceit, hate, betrayal and lies. I don’t dwell on the past, I don’t regret and I don’t remember… I survive. But then I met Ryland Dare and he changed everything. He reminded me that life’s worth living and that remembering isn’t always a bad thing. 

You don’t know true darkness until you've felt light… 

On the outside looking in, some would say my siblings and I have had a pretty easy life. But beyond the fancy cars, the huge house and endless social events, is where the truth really lies. Power hungry father, defeated mother and fake friends? Yeah I have one of each. Then Araya Noelle comes along and shows me what I’ve been missing. She thinks I changed her life, but really, she saved mine. 

At the edge of darkness, you must DARE to HOPE. DARE to LOVE. DARE to LIVE

My Opinion

I saw this book linked to a previous NA book as a similar read so I thought I'd give it ago as it sounded like my kind of read. From the blurb it sounded interesting and I couldn't wait to start it when it arrived. However there was a major surprise it had in store that I wasn't expecting.

The Edge of Darkness doesn't take long to reveal Araya is blind. I will admit that when this was revealed I was worried about how the book was going to play out and whether I would like it. I couldn't understand how the author was going to get all of the description you'd have in a normal book in if the main character can't see. Luckily she wrote in dual POV so the blindness didn't hinder the book and it made it different to what I've read in this genre. I will say that I wish it had been mentioned in the blurb though.

In terms of character I thought they were likeable and the emotions the portrayed were believable. I liked the slow progression of their relationship and how Ryland coaxed her into things and helped her fine her passions and confront her fears again. As a couple they worked and were realistic. The family dramas also added more twists to the book that kept things interesting.

One downside to the read though was that it did feel dragged out. The first 170 pages had me unable to put the book down, but for the next 100 I felt the pace slowed dramatically and not a lot happened. It picked up again towards the end, but the middle lacked the pacing of the start an I did find myself skimming for speech because the descriptions and events were becoming repetitive.

Aside from that there were a few formatting errors in my paperback (and a few minor grammar errors). Punctuation was missing, accents from words turned the letter into a box with a cross, words were joined together, and something was really weird with the layout and spacing. I wouldn't normally mention formatting but I think this book really needs to be gone over again as it was distracting while reading. Also this is no fault of the author, but the printing was really faint which also helped slow the reading down as it was sometimes unreadable. Again that's not something the author has control over unless it is a formatting issue because it happened on page 1 of every chapter.


Overall though, despite my qualms it was an enjoyable read and I'm thankful I have a gift card to be able to buy the next one. If you like contemporary NA and want something a little different from the usual emotional problems, you my want to check this out.

3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...