Thursday 21 February 2013

Devil's Bargain (Red Letter Days #1) - Rachel Caine

Devil's Bargain (Red Letter Days, #1)
Description
Jazz Callender is an ex-cop struggling to prove her partner's innocence after he is sent to prison for murder, and she's willing to take whatever help comes along ... but she's about to make a bargain with the devil. Approached by a mysterious, attractive stranger with a check and a business offer, she finds herself plunged deep into a world where nothing is as it seems - not James Borden, Attorney At Law, who fascinates her even as she doubts his honesty; not Lucia Garza, her beautiful, brilliant new partner with hidden depths and secrets; not The Cross Society, who seems to be able to know more about the cases she's being sent to investigate than Jazz does herself. With each new revelation, Jazz and Lucia uncover a world of psychic predictions and unseen forces, and find themselves playing not just for keeps, but for souls. With lives at stake, Jazz finds that every choice she makes is dangerous ... even the one to fall in love.


My Opinion

I received the sequel Devil's Dues via Netgalley earlier this month so I purchased this after finding out it was the first in the series. 

This book was an interesting read. Detective novels aren't usually my thing but this had a paranormal aspect that gave it an interesting twist. To begin with the book was slightly confusing but this kept me hooked as I wanted to find out what was happening and who was behind everything. I really liked the action in this book, the fights, stake outs and general P.I work were described well and made the book an exciting read. As well as this I love Jazz, she had a hard, cold nature but also showed a vulnerable side. She knew how to handle herself and was a great, strong female lead.

The relationships and characters were developed well and became increasingly more obvious as the book went on. Although I wouldn't class the book as a romance as this was more of an undercurrent it added a extra layer to the book that made it harder to put down.

Overall this was an interesting read that became clearer as I read on. It's full of action and great female leads and would strongly recommend reading it to anyone who loves paranormal/mystery/detectives/female leads in a novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...