Tuesday 15 December 2015

Review ~ Kick Push (Kick Push, #1) by Jay McLean

Kick Push (Kick Push, #1)
Paperback purchased by myself.

Release Date: August 4th 2015

Publisher: Self-published

Description:
There’s a single defining moment within every skater.
It lasts only a second. Two if you're good.
Three if you’re really good.
It’s the moment you’re in the air, your board somewhere beneath you, and nothing but wind surrounds you.
It’s the feeling of being airborne.

The sixteen-year-old version of me would’ve said it was the greatest feeling in the world.
Then at seventeen, I had my son.
And every single second became a defining moment. Even the ones that consisted of heartbreak when his mother left us.

Seventeen. Single. Dad.
That’s what my life became.
Yet, every day, I managed to find that feeling of being airborne.
Or at least I convinced myself I did.
But I lied—to myself and to everyone around me.
Until she showed up; Tanned skin, raven dark hair, and eyes the color of emeralds.

You know what sucks about being in the air?
Coming down from the high.
Sometimes you land on the board and nail the trick.
Then kick, push, and coast away.
Other times you fall.
You fall hard.
And those are the times when it’s not as easy to get back up, dust off your pads and try again.
Especially when the girl with the emerald eyes becomes your drug...
And you become her poison.

My Opinion

This was a good read. It had its ups and downs and did bring out certain emotions. I liked it more than her other books I've read, but it was a shame about the ending.

I enjoyed the emotional rollercoaster this book took me on. Josh was a character I easily connected with and respected. Right from the start his only concern is for his son Tommy and his loyalty never wavered. The love he had for Tommy and the lengths he went to to make his son happy was endearing. He was a great dad.

Similarly, Becca was an unusual character because of her problems with speech. I liked watching her relationship with Josh develop but I'm still unsure about how I feel about her. She didn't grow enough for me and I never felt like I got to know her.

That leads me to the ending. I thought this was a standalone but clearly that's not the case now. I wanted resolve and to me the ending fell flat. The book had all these highs and lows and I was ready to get that closure. I wanted an ending not a mini cliffhanger.

The only other slight issues I had was it did seen a little jumpy. I'm not sure if that was aided by the poor formatting in the paperback which made scene breaks hard to figure out, and it seemed like some of the graphics were in the wrong place, but the story did jump around quite a bit.


Either way, Kick Push was still an interesting read. Whether I read the next one will more than likely depend on how quickly it releases since I wasn't a fan of the ending and I'm not sure there is another book to Becca and Josh's story.

3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...