Monday 29 July 2013

Review ~ Casting Shadows (Flynn #3) - Sophie McKenzie

Casting Shadows (Flynn, #3)
Paperback purchased by myself

Release Date: 4th July 2013

Publisher: Simon and Schuster

Pages: 304

Description:

Flynn is making every effort to stay in control of his hot temper, while River feels more content than she's ever been. Together the two of them make big plans for the future, but powerful secrets lurk in the shadows, ready to threaten their happiness.





My Opinion

I really enjoyed the last two books in this series so was looking forward to reading Casting Shadows when I found out about the release date. However I did feel it was lacking compared to the previous books. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it but I guess it just wasn't what I was expecting. 

In the last two books River and Flynn's relationship had been really intense, however I don't think it stayed at the same level, despite them moving in with each other.If anything I found it less intense as they spent more time apart. I don't know how to explain it, but there just felt something different about it all and I started to see everyone's point about Flynn.

Beside that the storyline was incredibly predictable. You could see how everything was going to blow up in River's face a mile off with the not so subtle hints the author kept dropping. I'm not saying this was a bad thing as I still wanted to keep reading but I guess it's obvious in the teen romance genre that there are going to be ups and downs, especially with first loves.

I liked the change Flynn went through in this book. He really matured, well most of the time, and there were really sweet moments where we saw his vulnerable side as he tried to change for the sake of his relationship and River. I loved these sections but then there were others that made me hate him. Before it was Flynn against the world and I was fully supporting him, now I'm not so sure. I guess the next book will have the swing vote on whether I like him or not. I did feel though that maybe a lot of detail was only touched upon as this book is quiet short. There were a few sections I wanted to read more about and parts did go by quickly but again, it was an enjoyable, fast-pace read.

The only thing that really bugs me about this book is the ending. Although there is another book coming in the series I hate the way it is left off. I love romances and I also adore HEAs but this book left me feeling slightly down and disheartened at the uncertain, cliffhanger ending. I wish Sophie McKenzie could write this series in less book that are more of the size of her Blood Ties series as for me I'm always left wanting more.

Overall it's an emotional read that although lacks compared to the first 2, is still easy and fast to get through. I'm disappointed with the ending but I will definitely be reading the next book in the series as I want to see what happens to River and Flynn - although I have my suspicions. 

3.5

                               

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...