Thursday 19 July 2012

Justice (Deck of Lies, #1) - Jade Varden

Justice (Deck of Lies, #1)Description
A House of Cards...
When you build an entire life on a foundation of lies, it only takes one truth for the whole thing to come crashing down. I never invited the truth in. I never went searching for it. I never had any reason to suspect that the two people I loved most were dishonest with me every second of every day.
I made one bad decision, and in a single day my entire world changed. If I'm ever going to discover the truth about myself and my parents, I have to trace all the lies back to their source. I have to try to find the truth that they're hiding.
The more I discover about myself, and my past, the more I realize that lies really are better than the truth. But now that I know the lies are all around me, I can't stop until I've discovered them all. I'll pull each lie away, one by one, and examine it to see what's underneath…until this house of cards crumbles into dust at my feet.
I just hope I can survive the crash.

My Opinion
 I must admit that when I first received a request for this book I was hesitant to accept; I wasn't exactly keen on the cover and from the description it didn't sound like a book I would usually pick up. However I am so glad I did accept, the book kept a good pace throughout and included lots of twists to keep me engrossed and in suspense of what was going to happen in Rain's life. As I started reading I presumed it would be another book like Girl Missing by Sophie Mckennzie but the story soon developed into it's own, with it's own voice and it was obvious this was not the usual girl-kidnapped-and-thrown-back-into-a-new-family-life book. 
 
I loved the element of using the upper classes to contrast with Rain's character, it made her easier to relate to and sympathise with during the situations she found herself in. Also with the slight love interests throughout it made the story even more exciting as it gave me something else to anticipate and question; with some of my ideas turning out right, and others not, which was great as it meant the book was unpredictable. 
 
Overall I found that I was not able to stop myself reading on, I told myself one more chapter and ended up reading six instead. The book leaves you on a cliff hanger and even though I have my suspicions about who did what, I am not as certain as I usually am when I read mystery books. I would recommend this book to anyone and can't wait to read 'The Tower' (the next in the series).

Genre: YA, Mystery/Romance

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I felt the same way at first but ended up being so glad I read it!
    I am reviewing this book on my site also! :]
    Love your blog ^^
    If you could follow me back @
    http://littlehyuts.blogspot.com/
    that would be stellar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! I just got a review request on this book. Will read it soon :) I'm glad that you liked it since it's not something that I'd pick up and read also.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what you think :)

I know word verification is a pain, but spam is worse.

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...